Bernie Sanders - 15 Facts You Wouldn't Wanna Miss This Time
Bernard "Bernie" Sanders is an American politician serving as the junior United States Senator from Vermont since 2007.
He is the longest-serving Independent in congressional history, he was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1990 and caucuses with the Democratic Party, enabling his appointment to congressional committees and at times giving Democrats a majority.
What Do You Know About Bernie Sanders?
Everyone remembers the 2016 U.S elections when Bernie Sanders came up against Hillary Clinton in the democratic party square-off to select the presidential candidate to run against Donald Trump.
He lost to Hillary Clinton in that round but is once again throwing his hat in the ring to run on the 2020 Presidential ticket. Will he get it done this time around?
As quoted from an article posted on TheGuardian news website:
Bernie Sanders, the independent senator from Vermont whose 2016 presidential campaign helped energize the progressive movement and reshaped the Democratic party, has entered the 2020 race for the White House.
Sanders, a self-styled democratic socialist who spent much of his nearly 30-year congressional career on the political fringe, cast his candidacy as the best way to accomplish the mission he started three years ago when he ran against Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination.
“Together, you and I and our 2016 campaign began the political revolution,” he said in an email to supporters on Tuesday morning. “Now, it is time to complete that revolution and implement the vision that we fought for.”
Sanders, 77, running as a Democrat again, believes he can prevail in a crowded and diverse field that includes several female and minority candidates, and then beat Donald Trump, whom he called on Tuesday “the most dangerous president in modern American history”.
Sourced from online news outlet www.TheGuardian.com
15 Very Interesting Facts About Bernie Sanders
1. Sanders Financial Net Worth - this is estimated to be around a modest Two Million Dollars which comprises mostly of an a book royalty advance he received in 2016.
Compare this to the networth of the current president of the United States you would come up Billions of dollars short (BTW is Donald Trump really worth what people say he is worth? another conspiracy theory worth looking into).
2. How Old Is Bernie Sanders? Seventy Seven (77 years old) born in Brooklyn, New York on September 8, 1941 to two Polish immigrants.
His father, Elias Ben Yehuda Sanders,was born in Słopnice, Galicia in Austria-Hungary (now part of Poland),to a Jewish family; in 1921, Elias immigrated to the United States, where he became a paint salesman.
His mother, Dorothy "Dora" Sanders (née Glassberg), was born in New York City to Jewish immigrant parents from Poland and Russia.
3. Family Life and Children if Any - He is current married to Jane Sanders (nee ) whom he met on the night Sanders was elected as the mayor of Burlington .
Previously, he was married to Deborah Shiling in 1964 and divorced two years later. From a subsequent relationship he met Susan Mott in 1968 whom he never married but conjugated a son, Levi Sanders, who was born on March 21, 1969.
He eventually settled down and got married to Jane O'Meara in 1988 who, herself, had three children from a previous marriage.
4. Bernie Sanders House and Personal Assets - In 2017, Bernie and his wife Jane O’Meara Sanders bought a $600,000 vacation home on Vermont’s Lake Champlain Islands.
This #2020 candidate and his wife Jane reportedly have a 30-year mortgage of $50,000-$100,000 for a condo in Washington, D.C., according to Politico.
The media have it that in 2014, Sanders and his wife allegedly gave some $8,350 to charity, according to CBS
5. Bernie Sanders Meme Politico - he attended the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, where Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his “I Have a Dream” speech.
That summer, he was convicted of resisting arrest during a political demonstration carried out against segregation in Chicago’s public schools.
He was also active in several “peace and antiwar” movements sweeping over the United States at the time.
6. Bernie Sanders Party of Choice - in principle he is neither republican nor democrat but somehow holds on to the notion of being a social democrat (wonder what a social republican ideology would be like).
He has sided in the senate with the democrats on numerous occasions and have supported a number of bills they put forward.
Democrats likewise have given support to a number of bills that were tabled by Mr. Sanders.
In the 2016 presidential runoff he challenged Hillary Clinton on the democrats side of things to represent them as their presidential candidate but somehow lost out on that one.
Hillary herself, went on to fail in her quest to bring home the bacon for the democrats.
Do you think Bernie Sanders can do it this time around? Comment below and let me know what you think.
7. Bernie Sanders Car Controversy - Sanders was believed to be the owner an Audi R8 valued at a token $172,500.00 which conspiracy theorists we proclaiming to have been bought with funds "borrowed" from his own campaign financing.
This was reported by many media outlets with even pictures to boot. Then the criticism about him being a dishonest intellect began. Many were having an issue with the perceived notion that Sanders was enriching himself from campaign funds.
All that jarb turned out to be false, a misleading innuendo coming from the republican favoured rumour mills started with the aim of diminishing his political capital.
8. Bernie sanders Wiki - if one should take a look at his wikipedia page one will find a plethora of information centered around hi political life.
This is one of the most vibrant political figure in american politics spanning the last 50 years or so.
Being a political activist as far back as the 1963 political rally held by Dr. Martin Luther King and in the ensuing years took office as Mayor in 1981.
In 1980, Sanders at the suggestion of his close friend and political confidante Richard Sugarman ran for mayor of Burlington, Vermont and won , Richard Sugarman was then a Prof. of Religion at the University of Vermont. Sanders performed mayoral duties for eight years, from April 6, 1981, to April 4, 1989
9. Bernie Sanders Twitter Profile - like Donald Trump, Sanders is an active user of his Twitter account @SenSander with an ardent fan base of over 8 million followers.
He's a man who's not afraid to call you out for what you are as in the case with billionaire Jeff Bezos of Amazon's fame whom he strongly criticized publicly for what he considers the poor treatment of Amazon employees by a multi billion profit making entity such as Amazon.
Apparently due to negative public attention caused mainly by Sanders, Jeff Bezos caved in to the $15 per hour minimum wage demand thanks to the active Twitter campaigning against Amazon.
10. Bernie Sanders As A Young Man -
Attended James Madison High School, University degree at University of Chicago, 1964. Most of his early life in Brooklyn
11. Bernie Sanders News 2019
On February 19, 2019 Sanders Announced his intentions to run for president of the united states once more following up on his previous failed attempt in 2016.
As a public figure Sanders has no compunction about making the news. Big media constantly look out for fodder to feed the hungry news mongers and propaganda strategists on social media
12. Bernie Sanders On Amazon
13. Bernie Sanders 2020 - U.S americans must be honest and admit that all in all they're afraid of the socialism agenda as it's too close to the communism ideology.
The real reason behind him losing out in 2016 may very well be rooted in this inherent fear. The middle class will fear being stripped of their status and wealth being redistributed to those who did not work as hard as they did to achieve their lot in life.
While his supporters seem to support the big stick approach that he takes to the wealthy 1% it's the wealthy 30% that fear his ideology.
Supporters on social media and those middle of the road who are undecided sound their voices in numbers but you can't rely on them showing their support at the polls. Populism is one thing, reality of the vote is another as was seen in 2016.
There are those among the doubters who believe that come 2020 it won't be any different for this aspiring presidential candidate.
14. Bernie Sanders Age As President - Sanders will turn 78 in September this year and in January 2021 he will be 79 and 80 years of age later in 2021.
If he wins and go on to serve the statutory Two terms he will be 88 when he steps down as president.
Do you believe Bernie Sanders will make an outstanding President or will he just be an outstanding presidential candidate winning the rhetorics but not the votes?
What do you think? Is this another democratic party blue blunder that will hand Donald Trump a second go at the presidency.
If you agree or disagree with Bernie Sanders' push to become president at 79 let me hear what you think in the comments below.